The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (NUJS Kolkata)
The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences was established in July, 1999 with classes being held in Aranya Bhavan. Permanent affiliation was granted in 2005 by the Bar Council of India
. The present campus came into being on 28 October 2002 which was inaugurated by the then Chief Justice of India, B. N. Kirpal. It is considered to be one of the best law schools of India. NUJS Kolkata offers a five-year integrated B.A./BSc. LLB (Hons.) degree programme and Master of Laws (LLM) programme. It also has an array of diploma and certificate courses as well. It also offers a number of online courses that attract students from 17 countries across the world so far.
Objectives of NUJS Kolkata
- advance and disseminate learning and knowledge of law and legal processes and their role in national development.
- promote legal knowledge and to make law and the legal process efficient instruments of social development.
- develop in the student and research scholar a sense of responsibility to serve society in the field of law by developing skills with regard to advocacy, legal service, legislation, law reforms and the like.
- promote inter-disciplinary study of law in relation to management, technology, international cooperation and development.
Schools of NUJS
- The School of Economic & Business Laws (SEBL)
- The School of Criminal Justice & Administration (SCJA)
- The School of Technology, Law & Development
- The School of Legal Practice & Development (SLPD)
- The School of Private Laws & Comparative Jurisprudence (SPLCJ)
- The School of Public Law & Governance (SPLG)
- The School of Social Sciences (SSS)
Centers of NUJS
The Centers in NUJS are:
- Centre for Regulatory Studies, Governance and Public Policy (CRSGPP)
- Centre for Child Rights (CCR)
- Centre for Financial Studies
- Centre for Women and Law
- Centre for Human Rights and Citizenship Studies
Academic Programs of NUJS
This is five-year undergraduate course divided into ten semesters. Admission to the programme is based on CLAT
This is a one-year post graduate course introduced to attract students who either wish to join the academia or seek to acquire advanced research skills before joining the legal profession. The course has to be completed within two semesters having duration of eighteen weeks each.
M.Sc. IN Forensic Science
M.Sc. in Forensic Science is an attempt to fulfil job opportunities to those interested in pursuing a career in forensic science. Candidates with a B.Sc. Pass/Hons. with Chemistry /Biochemistry /Biotechnology /Microbiology /Computer Science / B.Sc. LL.B. or any equivalent degree with minimum of 50% marks are eligible to apply. 5% relaxation in marks for SC/ST candidate is available. The merit list shall be prepared on the basis of a Written Test of 100 marks and an Interview of 50 marks.
The M. Phil Degree Programme is specifically designed for aspiring legal academics i.e., students who wish to pursue sustained independent study and research and are planning careers in law teaching.
The Ph.D and LL.D degrees are two of the most advanced law degrees offered by the University. The candidates to these degrees are expected to produce a thesis that will constitute a substantial and valuable contribution to legal scholarship.
The University Central Library is spread over 758 sq. metres with 400 seats. As of 2009, it had a collection of over 14000 titles and more than 5000 volumes of bound periodicals as well as a sizable collection of electronic materials and legal databases providing online access via major legal platforms including SCC, Westalw, Grand Jurix, Lexis Nexis, Heinonline, and Manupatra online.
The WB National University of Juridical Sciences
Dr. Ambedkar Bhavan
12, LB Block, Sector III,
Salt Lake City
Kolkata - 700098