- ISI Kolkata
Indian Statistical Institute Kolkata
Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) is the result of the efforts of Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis who set up the first Statistical Laboratory in the 1920s in Presidency College, Kolkata. The institute was formally established in 1941 and is one of the oldest and most prestigious institutions focused on statistics. On 17 December 1931, the Indian Statistical Institute was founded as a learned society and housed in the Statistical Laboratory. The Institute was registered on 28 April 1932, as a non-profit distributing learned society under the Societies Registration Act and is now registered under the West Bengal Societies Registration. Sir R.N. Mookerjee accepted the office of the President of the Institute, and held this office until his death in 1936.
With its headquarters in Baranagar, West Bengal, it has four subsidiary centres focused in academics at Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai and Tezpur, and a branch at Giridih. In addition, the Institute has a network of units of Statistical Quality Control and Operations Research at Vadodara, Coimbatore, Hyderabad, Mumbai and Pune engaged in guiding the industries, within and outside India, in developing the latest quality management systems and solving critical problems of quality, reliability and productivity.
Key areas of expertise of ISI are Computer science, Statistics, Mathematics, Mathematical economics, Operations Research and Information Science and it is one of the few research oriented Indian schools offering courses at both the undergraduate and graduate level.
Objectives of ISI
- To promote the study and dissemination of knowledge of Statistics
- To develop statistical theory and methods, and their use in research and practical applications generally, with special reference to problems of planning of national development and social welfare;
- To undertake research in various fields of natural and social sciences, with a view to the mutual development of Statistics and these sciences;
- To provide for, and undertake, the collection of information, investigation, projects and operational research for purposes of planning and the improvement of efficiency of management and production.
Admission in ISI
Applicants of all degree courses are required to go through written admission tests and interviews. ISI conducts the written tests at various examination centres across India. Only in few cases, candidates may get called for the interview directly, viz. applicants of MTech Computer Science course having a brilliant GATE score.
Academic Programs in Indian Statistical Institute
Indian Statistical Institute offers the following academic programs:
- B.Stat. (Hons.)
- B.Math. (Hons.)
- M.S. in Quantitative Economics
- M.S. in Library and Information Science
- M.S. in Quality Management Science
- M.Tech. in Computer Science
- M.Tech. in Quality, Reliability and Operations Research
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Statistical Methods and Analytics
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Statistical Methods with Applications
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Computer Applications
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Analytics (PGDBA)
Indian Statistical Institute,
203 Barrackpore Trunk Road,
Phone: 033-25752001 (Operator)
2575-3304 (Director's Office)
25778597 (Guest House)